Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Things WE single women do....

I've been mulling this post over for awhile.  Originally I was going to write a blog about Valentine's Day and how its a made up holiday to make single women feel crappy.  LOL.  But I won't say all single women cause it sure doesn't bother me and I'm sure a few of my friends feel the same way.  There are many ways to show you love someone and it doesn't always have to be a significant other.  So with that said I started thinking about all the recent changes that have been going on around me and personally.  I had to sit back and really think about how women go about getting a man.  One of my friends recently posted on FB that women seem so desperate.  Is that really it? Are we really desperate?  I'm not sure about that but I can see why that would be said. 
Most single women, not all, have a goal and that is to find the "one" and get married and live happily ever after amongst other things.  So we do what we can to try to attract a man.  Whether that means dressing a certain way or acting a certain way, we women do what we have to sometimes to attract a man.  And it's not always about attracting a man but trying to get the man to get involved with you or to marry you.  So if the guy you're dating, interested in, kicking it with, or whatever likes thongs, we as females will go out of our way to start to wear thongs more often even if we hate them.  If your man likes for you to dress a certain way, or wear your hair a certain way we as women tend to conform a lot easier than a man would.  We tend to accept things that otherwise we wouldn't accept and do things that we may not always necessarily feel comfortable with. We all have done it. Been there, done that. 
I was looking in my armoire the other day and I noticed a body lotion that I don't really care for and then I remembered why I had it. A guy that I was dating and was really interested in told me that he liked it and so I bought it and would wear it around him because it's something that he liked.  I had to ask myself why we would do that? Why would I get something that I really don't care for just to please or entertain someone else? Is that what it has come down to? And even though that is something small that is exactly the point I am trying to make.  Women tend to conform and to make changes to please a man.  But why? I don't know the answer but I think I will consciously make an effort to try to stay as TRUE to myself as possible without trying to conform just to capture a man.  You just have to like me for me and if not you can go kick rocks.  And I mean that in the nicest way.  I shouldn't have to, nor should any woman have to tweak herself just to please a man or capture a man.  I know that men don't ask us to do these things but again we women are trying to obtain that goal and sometimes that means making changes. 

1 comment:

Godiva said...

This was an interesting read. I tried to think about what I've done in the past to please someone else and there isn't a whole lot. Am I selfish and self-centered? LOL! Remember back in the day when women would say that they didn't shave their legs because men like hairy legs? *vomits* Maybe that's Monique's deal? But to the contrary, men do just about everything they do to attract women. They cars they drive, fragrances, clothes, even underwear are for us. I don't think there is a lot wrong with wanting to attract the opposite sex, we just can't lose ourselves in the process. That goes for men & women.